Introduction to UNIX/Linux (70037) - Jim Griffin
Forum rules
Be nice to each other!
Jim Griffin
Site Admin

A Taste of Microsoft

Post by Jim Griffin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 pm

CIS90 Students:
What happened in class today, as I tried to demonstrate the remote access to Virtual Machines
through the remote desktop server, is an example of the way Microsoft views the world. What was happening was that, unlike UNIX, Microsoft does not allow a user to be logged in to a server more than once. So when one of us logged in as cis90, the next person logging in as cis90 caused the first one to be booted off the system. The solution to this problem may be to give each of you a remote access account rather than relying on just one cis90 account.

When I tested this, I logged in twice as cis90 from the same computer, and it allowed the multiple login because the second loggin was from the same device. But when the logins are from different computers, Windows server 2008 cries foul play. So stay tuned to see how we fix/work-around this issue.

Jim G

Jim Griffin
Site Admin

Re: A Taste of Microsoft

Post by Jim Griffin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Attention all cis90 students!

We have a solution to our problem of only one user being allowed in the virtual lab at a time.
It is going to involve giving you all your own personal account into the virtual lab. So I will be generating accounts for you on Friday. By Saturday you should be good to go.
Your new account will use the same username you get for opus: first 5 letters of lastname followed by first 3 letters of your first name. If you have a short last name, then your logname may be less than 8 characters - that is ok.
Your password on opus will be the same as your login name followed by a 1 (one). You will be forced to change that password for a better one when you go to log in. Your account for the virtual lab will have a more complex password:
Your first and last initials in uppercase, followed by the @ sign followed by your 7 digit student id number.
I know, it's ugly, but it gets by the security checker.
Keep a watch here for the signal that this is all ready to go. Probably sometime Friday afternoon.
And thank you for your patience.

Jm G.

Jim Griffin
Site Admin

Re: A Taste of Microsoft

Post by Jim Griffin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm

We're ready to go!
I will be making both opus and sybil (Remote Desktop) accounts at the same time each evening.
10 of you already have your accounts, and that's a ten, not a binary 10, (which would only be two).
See my announcment on accounts for complete details.

Jim G.

Return to “CIS 90 (classroom) - Spring 2011”