Introduction to UNIX/Linux (70037) - Jim Griffin
Forum rules
Be nice to each other!
Jim Griffin
Site Admin

New Accounts

Post by Jim Griffin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 pm

CIS 90 One/All

I will be making new accounts for you as you complete lab1. So far 10 people have at least started lab1
and now have accounts on opus.cabrillo.edu and sybil.cabrillo.edu - our portal to the virtual machine lab.

Your Opus account will be made from the first five letters of your lastname, followed by the first three letters of your first name. The password will be the same with a 1 (one) following it, and you will be forced to change your password the first time you log in. Be sure to read the questions asked of you and to give first your current password, (the bad one) before you enter your good password in twice.

Your sybil account name will be the same as your opus account, but the password will be different and unchangeable.
Your password will be the first letter of your first name, followed by the first letter of your last name, both uppercase, followed by the @ symbol followed by your 7 digit student id number. In otherwords, you have to memorize that darn number that the school uses instead of your Social Security number.

To log into sybil.cabrillo.edu and play with the vitual machines, you will have to redownload the CIS90Client.rdp file from
this link: http://www.cabrillo.edu/~jgriffin/CIS90 ... Client.rdp
Download this new rdp file to your desktop, doubleclick on it, and log in using the sybil.cabrillo.edu credentials I gave above. See if you can find the virtual machines (Eko and RedHat9) I showed in class. If you get a page with a bunch of icons on it, click the one labelled "Hosts and Clusters", then expand the + signs and you'll get there.
We are putting together a solution for MAC users.

Good luck, and be sure to get the lab1 finished by end of day Tuesday!

Return to “CIS 90 (classroom) - Spring 2011”